add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Lakeside Club
Lakeside Club
TitleLakeside Club
DescriptionFrom text: ""The Lakeside Club was organized in 1884, for the purpose of promoting social intercourse between its members and their families. Two houses were taken at the corner of Wabash Avenue and Thirtieth Street, and here the Club remained until 1888, when the new Club house on Indiana Avenue (between Thirty-first and Thirty-second Streets) was opened with a grand New Year ball. The present house is an imposing structure of brick and stone, containing three stories and a basement. In the basement are the billiard rooms, café, the bowling alley, private supper rooms, and a dining room capable of seating four hundred guests. On the first floor are situated the ladies' and gentlemen's parlors, the reception room, the dressing rooms, and a fine assembly room and dancing hall, fifty-five feet wide by one hundred feet long. In the second story are the card rooms and a splendid gymnasium complete in every detail. The third floor is devoted to private apartments and the servants rooms.""
Source Page
Link to the Full-Text
RepositoryUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Subject NameLakeside Club
Coverage-SpatialDouglas (Chicago, Ill.)
PublisherUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of Illinois at Chicago
RightsImages in this collection were digitized through the University of Illinois Library's participation in the Open Content Alliance and may be used freely. Attribution to the University of Illinois is appreciated. High-resolution images can be downloaded from the Internet Archive at For further information, contact
Book TitleThe Chicago clubs: illustrated
Author of the BookLanward Publishing Company
CollectionPicture Chicago
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^