add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Oaks Club
Oaks Club
TitleOaks Club
DescriptionCaption: "Austin Library Building and Club House." From text: "The Oaks was organized in January, 1882, and incorporated September 3d, 1884, its object being to promote social intercourse between its members and their families. In its early days the club occupied rooms in the Giles Block until the building was destroyed by fire November 13th, 1885, at which time it suffered the loss of all furniture and records. When the block was rebuilt it occupied a suite of rooms therein until the new Austin Club and Library Building was completed, into which they have recently moved. The apartments occupied by the Club consist of reception hall, parlors, card and billiard rooms, banquet hall, etc., also a beautiful and completely appointed theatre, all of which are furnished with much taste and elegance."
Source Page
Link to the Full-Text
RepositoryUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Subject NameOaks Club
Coverage-SpatialAustin (Chicago, Ill.)
PublisherUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of Illinois at Chicago
RightsImages in this collection were digitized through the University of Illinois Library's participation in the Open Content Alliance and may be used freely. Attribution to the University of Illinois is appreciated. High-resolution images can be downloaded from the Internet Archive at For further information, contact
Book TitleThe Chicago clubs: illustrated
Author of the BookLanward Publishing Company
CollectionPicture Chicago
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^