add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
First depot of Galena & Chicago Union Railroad
First depot of Galena & Chicago Union Railroad
TitleFirst depot of Galena & Chicago Union Railroad
DescriptionCaption: "The first depot of the Galena & Chicago Union Railroad Company (now Chicago & Northwestern Railway). This depot stood at the southwest corner of North Canal and West Kinzie streets. It was built in 1848 and was Chicago's first railroad depot. In 1881 the depot was removed. By courtesy of Chicago Historical Society" From text: "It was a one-story frame building located on the now vacant triangular piece of ground south of Kinzie street, and west of Canal street, which is at present passed daily by hundreds of trains... In 1849, this building was enlarged and.. a second story was added to the structure and that was surmounted with a sort of observatory. Mr. John B. Turner, the president of the road, who succeeded William B. Ogden in 1851, often watched for the coming of the trains with the aid of a long old-fashioned marine telescope, and thus could announce the approach of a train while it was as far away as Austin, six miles distant."
Source Page
Link to the Full-Text
RepositoryUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Subject NameGalena and Chicago Union Railroad Company
SubjectRailroad stations
Coverage-SpatialNear West Side (Chicago, Ill.)
PublisherUniversity of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of Illinois at Chicago
RightsImages in this collection were digitized through the University of Illinois Library's participation in the Open Content Alliance and may be used freely. Attribution to the University of Illinois is appreciated. High-resolution images can be downloaded from the Internet Archive at For further information, contact
Book TitleChicago: its history and its builders, a century of marvelous growth
Author of the BookCurrey, J. Seymour (Josiah Seymour), b. 1844
CollectionPicture Chicago
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^