add to favorites : reference url back to results : previous : next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
University of Illinois Library
University of Illinois Library
Resource Typeimage
TitleUniversity of Illinois Library
Coverage / Year1924
Description1408 with Gregory Drive, Urbana. The Library is more commonly known as the Main Library. The architect was Charles Adams Platt. Since 2000, the building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
InterpretationThe present University of Illinois facility was erected in many stages, beginning in 1924. The first unit, dedicated in 1927, included the principal facade facing east, the main staircase with murals by Barry Faulkner, the circulating loan room, and the first section of the stacks. It also contained the huge reading room for 500 students that is embellished with tinted glass windows depicting famous printer's marks.
Lesson Plans / ThemesUrban Treasure Hunt
Learning Standards16 History
Author or CreatorMiller, Patricia L.; Illinois Heritage Association;
SourceHistory in Postcards: Champaign, Urbana, and the University of Illinois. Willis C. Baker, Patricia L. Miller. Illinois Heritage Association, 1993.
Subject / KeywordsChampaign County, Illinois; Buildings; Education; Urbana, Illinois; Libraries
Collection PublisherIllinois Heritage Association
Further InformationFor any further information related to this record, please contact the Collection Publisher. See for more information about this project.
Rights Management Statement
Resource IdentifierIha00174
CONTENTdm file name73444212372002_Image10.jpg
powered by CONTENTdm ® | University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage ^ to top ^