Search results for
Refine your search
Universities & Col...
Galleries & Museum...
Wagner, Fred H.
add to favorites
page 1 of 3 : (
Caption: "The Chicago River formerly emptied into Lake Michigan, but with the digging of the drainage canal, the current was reversed and the waters now find their way into the Mississippi, much to the...
City Hall and County Courthouse
Courthouses; City & town halls
Caption: "City Hall and Cook County Court House The administrative offices of the city of Chicago and the court-rooms and offices of Cook County, Illinois, are in this massive building which occupies the...
Caption: "Haymarket Square is noted the world over as the scene of the anarchistic outrage on the night of May 4, 1886, when a bomb was hurled into the midst of a number of policemen who were attempting...
Galleries & museums; Parks
Caption: "The Art Building of the famous World's Fair of 1893, is the only one of the white structures preserved in Jackson Park. It had its beginnings as a permanent institution from the contributions...
Humboldt Park boathouse
Caption: "Free Bathing Pool[.] One of the most beneficent of Chicago's charities is the public bathing system, a comparatively recent institution. The baths are spacious and well-equipped and the best...
Post Office pneumatic tube system
Post offices; Pneumatic tubes
Caption: "End of the big pneumatic tube system in the basement of the Chicago Post Office." From text: "The underground pneumatic tube system is the largest of the kind in the world. There are three double-tube...
Post office overhead carrier system
Caption: "Overhead carrier system in the post-office, similar to cash carriers used in stores."
Elgin Shirt advertisement
Copy reads: "Negligé Coats Are the Thing Fall Line Now Ready Cutter and Crossette Makers Chicago The Elgin Shirt"
Caption: "The Armour grain elevator is the largest in the city, and belongs to the millionaire meat packer. The owner is noted for his great wheat operations on the Board of Trade. The vast quantities...
Caption: "The Masonic Temple, situated at the corner of Randolph and State streets, is two hundred and sixty-five feet high. The number of its tenants would be sufficient to populate a fair sized village....
Caption: "The Woman's Temple, at the corner of Monroe and La Salle streets, stands as a monument to the untiring temperance workers of Chicago. It is twelve stories high and contains three hundred offices....
Caption: "When the great fire of 1871 destroyed the City Hall at the corner of La Salle and Adams streets a temporary building erected on the site was jokingly called " The Rookery." The twelve story building...
Caption: "This building presents the appearance of being the most substantial structure in Chicago. It occupies the entire block bounded by Jackson Boulevard, Clark, Dearborn and Van Buren streets. Several...
Railway Exchange Building
Caption: "This edifice is numbered among the handsomest office buildings in the city. It is located on Michigan Avenue, near the Art Institute, overlooking Lake Michigan. The structure is devoted to office...
Michigan Avenue, showing Auditorium
Hotels; Theaters; Offices buildings
Caption: "Michigan Avenue, showing the Auditorium[.] Michigan Avenue lies along the lake front and is a favorite driveway. No obstructing buildings lie between it and the lake and the cool breezes make...
Caption: "This famous hotel, at the corner of State and Monroe streets, was built shortly after the great fire by Potter Palmer, to whose estate it now belongs. Many great political deals were consummated...
Cook County Hospital
Caption: "The Cook County Hospital, the largest of the public charities of Chicago, occupies twelve acres on West Harrison and Polk streets. The main building is a handsome edifice of red brick with stone...
Washington Park Club House
Racetracks (Horse racing)
Caption: "Washington Park Club House, and "Derby Day"[.] The most notable of racing tracks in Chicago is Washington Park, especially famous for its "Derby Day," usually run some Saturday in June. This...
Central YMCA Building
Located at 19 S. LaSalle Street. Designed by Jenney & Mundie and built in 1893.
Located at 220 S. Michigan Avenue. Designed by D. H. Burnham & Co. and built in 1905.
add to favorites
page 1 of 3 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage
^ to top ^