Search results for
Refine your search
Galleries & Museum...
I. P. E. U.
Kaufmann & Fabry c...
Rebori, A. N.
Chicago Aerial Survey ...
add to favorites
page 1 of 4 : (
West Side Auditorium meeting
Caption: "Meeting of all of Joint Board Delegates, Local Executives and Shop Chairmen. West Side Auditorium, Jan. 13, 1921. Presented to Captains and Lieutenants of the $1,000,000 Lockout Fund Chicago...
Entrance to Forest Home
From text: "This cemetery is situated between West Madison and West Twelfth Sts., about four and one half miles west of the present City Limits, and embraces the most beautiful part of the once celebrated...
From text: "The first white man who became a permanent settler here was Mr. John Kinzie, an Indian trader, who crossed the lake from St. Joseph, Michigan, in 1804. He was the founder of the commerce of...
Terminal of Chicago & Northwestern Railroad
Caption: "Passenger terminal of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, completed in 1911. Courtesy of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway." From text: "In the annual report for the year ending June 30th, 1907,...
Caption: "[Engraved for The Standard Guide Company.] The Skandinaven Building, 183-187 N. Peoria St. [See "Newspapers."]". From text: "Location of publication office, the Skandinaven Building, 183, 185...
Two houses on Fremont
Caption: "Side by side, two houses on Fremont represent widely different styles and periods of Chicago architecture. A balcony detail from the one at right is shown on page 31."
Revenge! Workingmen, to arms!!!
Caption: "The famous "Revenge" circular." German title: "Rache! Rache! Arbeiter, zu den Waffen!"
Spies addressing the strikers
Caption: "Spies addressing the strikers at McCormick's." The McCormick's Works factory was located near Blue Island and Western avenues.
Deacon Philo Carpenter
From text: "The Deacon (he was deacon emeritus in his last years) came to Chicago in 1832, and was largely instrumental in organizing the First Presbyterian Church. Later he moved to the West Side, and...
Soldiers' Memorial in St. James's Church
Monuments & memorials
Caption: "The Soldiers' Memorial in St. James's Episcopal Church (Uninjured by the Fire and Forming Part of the Reconstructed Edifice, at Cass and Huron Streets)". Note: Cass Street is earlier name for...
Rev. William W. Everts
From text: "The Rev. W. W. Everts, D.D., of the First Baptist Church, was another who could always be depended on to strike straight from the shoulder. He left Louisville, Ky., in 1859, because of his...
Mahlon D. Ogden property
Caption: "The Mahlon D. Ogden Property By Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society". Image is undated but appears to be from the 1860s.
Rush Street Bridge
Bridges; Hotels; Rivers
Caption: "Lake House, Rush Street Bridge, and River Mouth". View is looking northwest, across the Chicago River, to the Near North Side. Photograph is undated but appears to be from the 1860s.
Caption: "Haymarket Square is noted the world over as the scene of the anarchistic outrage on the night of May 4, 1886, when a bomb was hurled into the midst of a number of policemen who were attempting...
Caption: "The Armour grain elevator is the largest in the city, and belongs to the millionaire meat packer. The owner is noted for his great wheat operations on the Board of Trade. The vast quantities...
Riots at Halsted Street viaduct
Caption: "The Labor Troubles of 1877: Riots at the Halsted Street Viaduct, Chicago." The viaduct was located at Halsted and 16th Street. (Source: The Labor Trail: Chicago's History of Working-Class Life...
C. A. Coey's School of Motoring
From text: "The object of our school is to prepare young men throughout the country to become expert chauffeurs, repairmen, demonstrators, salesmen, garage managers, etc. Our president, Mr. C. A. Coey,...
Call for the Haymarket Meeting
Fliers; Anarchists; Haymarket Square Riot, Chicago, Ill., 1886.
Text in English and German. Partial transcription: "Attention Workingmen! Great mass-meeting to-night, at 7.30 o'clock at the Haymarket, Randolph St., bet. Desplaines and Halstead. Achtung Arbeiter! Grosse...
Cook County Hospital
Caption: "The Cook County Hospital, the largest of the public charities of Chicago, occupies twelve acres on West Harrison and Polk streets. The main building is a handsome edifice of red brick with stone...
Waterworks; Pumping stations
Caption: "The Water Tower[.] The North Water Works are situated on Chicago Avenue near the lake shore. Here a stone tower, one hundred and sixty feet high, receives water from the lake forced by four engines...
add to favorites
page 1 of 4 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage
^ to top ^