Search results for
Refine your search
Galleries & Museum...
Haymarket Square Riot,...
Mccullough, wm. A.
Kaufmann & Fabry c...
Chicago Aerial Survey ...
I. P. E. U.
add to favorites
page 1 of 4 : (
West Side Auditorium meeting
Caption: "Meeting of all of Joint Board Delegates, Local Executives and Shop Chairmen. West Side Auditorium, Jan. 13, 1921. Presented to Captains and Lieutenants of the $1,000,000 Lockout Fund Chicago...
Humboldt Park boathouse
Caption: "Free Bathing Pool[.] One of the most beneficent of Chicago's charities is the public bathing system, a comparatively recent institution. The baths are spacious and well-equipped and the best...
Entrance to Forest Home
From text: "This cemetery is situated between West Madison and West Twelfth Sts., about four and one half miles west of the present City Limits, and embraces the most beautiful part of the once celebrated...
First depot of Galena & Chicago Union Railroad
Caption: "The first depot of the Galena & Chicago Union Railroad Company (now Chicago & Northwestern Railway). This depot stood at the southwest corner of North Canal and West Kinzie streets. It was built...
Terminal of Chicago & Northwestern Railroad
Caption: "Passenger terminal of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, completed in 1911. Courtesy of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway." From text: "In the annual report for the year ending June 30th, 1907,...
Old West Market Hall
Caption: "Old West Market Hall: On the site of the present Haymarket Square."
Washington Street, west from Dearborn
Caption: "Street scenes in the "Bygone Days" Washington Street, Looking West from Dearborn By Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society". Photograph is undated but appears to be from the 1860s.
Cook County Hospital
Caption: "The Cook County Hospital, the largest of the public charities of Chicago, occupies twelve acres on West Harrison and Polk streets. The main building is a handsome edifice of red brick with stone...
Residence of Hermann Weinhardt
Caption: "Residence of West Park Commissioner Hermann Weinhardt, near Wicker Park." Weinhardt's seven-year term as West Park Commissioner began March 18, 1891 (from text).
View west on Adams Street
Street scenes; Buildings
Caption: "The Vista of Adams Street." View is looking west from the Art Institute of Chicago. Pullman Building, at left; Peoples Gas Building, at right.
Caption: "[Engraved for The Standard Guide Company.] The Skandinaven Building, 183-187 N. Peoria St. [See "Newspapers."]". From text: "Location of publication office, the Skandinaven Building, 183, 185...
Remodeled house on Lincoln Park West
Caption: "A remodeled house on Lincoln Park West. The cherub and wrought-iron fence and railing are additions, the paneled door original."
Revenge! Workingmen, to arms!!!
Caption: "The famous "Revenge" circular." German title: "Rache! Rache! Arbeiter, zu den Waffen!"
Spies addressing the strikers
Caption: "Spies addressing the strikers at McCormick's." The McCormick's Works factory was located near Blue Island and Western avenues.
Deacon Philo Carpenter
From text: "The Deacon (he was deacon emeritus in his last years) came to Chicago in 1832, and was largely instrumental in organizing the First Presbyterian Church. Later he moved to the West Side, and...
Caption: "State Street is the "Broadway of the West." Here are located the great department stores. Upon a bright day its sidewalks swarm with shoppers and pleasure seekers. Among the massive structures...
Caption: "Haymarket Square is noted the world over as the scene of the anarchistic outrage on the night of May 4, 1886, when a bomb was hurled into the midst of a number of policemen who were attempting...
Riots at Halsted Street viaduct
Caption: "The Labor Troubles of 1877: Riots at the Halsted Street Viaduct, Chicago." The viaduct was located at Halsted and 16th Street. (Source: The Labor Trail: Chicago's History of Working-Class Life...
Call for the Haymarket Meeting
Fliers; Anarchists; Haymarket Square Riot, Chicago, Ill., 1886.
Text in English and German. Partial transcription: "Attention Workingmen! Great mass-meeting to-night, at 7.30 o'clock at the Haymarket, Randolph St., bet. Desplaines and Halstead. Achtung Arbeiter! Grosse...
From text: "In 1881, the property which is the present quarters of the Club (154 Ashland Avenue) was purchased."
add to favorites
page 1 of 4 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage
^ to top ^