Search results for
Refine your search
Galleries & Museum...
Johnson, Donna Lee
add to favorites
page 1 of 5 : (
From text: "The first white man who became a permanent settler here was Mr. John Kinzie, an Indian trader, who crossed the lake from St. Joseph, Michigan, in 1804. He was the founder of the commerce of...
Grant Place row houses
Caption: "Row houses on Grant Place. These were undoubtedly built as one-family units in a single development."
Two houses on Fremont
Caption: "Side by side, two houses on Fremont represent widely different styles and periods of Chicago architecture. A balcony detail from the one at right is shown on page 31."
Dickens and Halsted apartment building
Caption: "Architectural details add interest to many houses in the Sheffield area. On the opposite page is a three-story bay on an apartment building at the corner of Dickens and Halsted."
Row houses on Deming
Caption: "False fronts with a Dutch flavor embellish row houses on Deming. Note the terracotta "candles" at the sides of each."
Mahlon D. Ogden property
Caption: "The Mahlon D. Ogden Property By Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society". Image is undated but appears to be from the 1860s.
Caption: "The Clybourne Mansion (After a Water-color Painting by Petford) By Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society"
Crosby's Opera House
Opera Houses; Reunions
Caption: "The Grand Army Reunion of 1868 at Crosby's Opera House Lt.-Gen. Sherman Delivering Address of Welcome (This Building then Ranked as "the Most Imposing Art Temple of the Country")"
Caption: "Park Row By Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society"
Caption: "Terrace Row--"The Marble Terrace" The Lake Front By Courtesy of the Chicago Historical Society". The Marble Terrace stood on property later occupied by the Auditorium Building.
Residence of Hermann Weinhardt
Caption: "Residence of West Park Commissioner Hermann Weinhardt, near Wicker Park." Weinhardt's seven-year term as West Park Commissioner began March 18, 1891 (from text).
Caption: "The O'Leary House, back of which the Great Fire is said to have started." From text: "The cause of the fire is not known, even after the diligent investigation which was undertaken a few weeks...
Courtyard of Hull House
Caption: "The Courtyard of Hull House."
Caption: "Rest Cottage, Evanston: W.C.T.U. Headquarters, former home of Miss Willard." From text: "Her home in Evanston is known as 'Rest Cottage,' where she spent many years of her life, though in the...
Residence of Mrs. Potter Palmer
From text: "Potter Palmer of Chicago was a member of the Board of Directors of the World's Columbian Exposition, and his wife, Mrs. Bertha M. Honore Palmer, was president of the Board of Lady Managers."...
Residence of Albert G. Wheeler
Caption: "East front of Mr. Albert G. Wheeler's marble residence. (Overlooking Lake Michigan.) 6355 Sheridan Road, North Edgewater." The building is now called Piper Hall and is owned by Loyola University...
Residence of E. S. Shepherd
Caption: "Residence of Mr. E. S. Shepherd. 6341 Sheridan Road, North Edgewater."
Residence of S. H. Gunder
Caption: "Residence of Mr. S. H. Gunder. 6219 Sheridan Road, North Edgewater."
Residence of Wm. H. Fahrney
Caption: "Residence of Mr. Wm. H. Fahrney. 6171 Sheridan Road, North Edgewater."
Residence of A. Carlson
Caption: "Residence of Mr. A. Carlson. 6030 Sheridan Road, North Edgewater."
add to favorites
page 1 of 5 : (
powered by CONTENTdm
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign Homepage
^ to top ^